Monday, February 28, 2011

Cafe Surfas - Culver City, Los Angeles


Earlier in the week, my friend Tania recommended the Surfas Cafe after reading the first blog post on Afoodcionado. Despite the terrible weather, we decided to forge the rain and traffic for a pretty savory lunch.

At Surfas, part cafe and part gourmet supply store, you get good vibes from the cute interior decoration, casual and surprisingly polite customers, to the wonderful aroma of grilled bread and coffee. Surfas is decently priced, for the quality of ingredients and food, the sandwiches where delicious as well as the savory drinks (which come with my favorite type of ice cubes--small cylinders of crunchiness)!

^ I am in love with their bike display in the main entrance window.

^ Interior
Here inside, warm and sweetly colored, you meet a pretty decent line of people. Not to worry, the line moves fast and the barista/clerks are super helpful. I straight out told my guy that it was my first time here, and he helped me out with my sandwich and drink choice, as well as telling me where to pick up my food and drink.
It's a casual, pay and order at the counter, wait for your drink on the left, and grab your food on the right. As a warning, seats are limited inside, so it's best to have a friend to grab a table while waiting in line if you want to be inside. There are however a lot of tables outside to be enjoyed in warmer weather. 

^ Tania's Lemonade (Left) and my Arnold Palmer (Right)

I had gotten something light:
^ Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich:
White Cheddar, Fontina, Blue Cheese Mayo 
on a Pecan and Raisin Bread

This absolutely hit the spot for me. Despite the name, the cheeses where not overwhelming. It went well, almost like a cheese platter on the go. The salad was mixed greens in a light vinaigrette sauce, with beautifully edible flowers flourished on top. I had to assure Tania that they could be eaten!

Yvonne had gotten this amazing Panini:
Kurobuta Ham Panini: 
Kurobuta Ham, Fontina Cheese, grilled Red Onion, 
and Honey Mustard on Whole Grain Bread

As a drink, she had gotten:
^ Italian Soda with an Apple Syrup 



And... Tania finally received hers:
^ Jorge's Chicken Sandwich:
Jidon Organic Chicken, Nueske Bacon, Aged White Cheddar, Cilantro Avocado Spread, 
Mixed Greens, Red Onion, Tomato slices on a Rustic Hero Roll.

^ Man this thing was a deliciously loaded monster! 
It is after all a Cafe Surfas Signature Dish!

^ Yvonne was pretty excited about her panini... 
and I think at this rate, a little impatient with me taking all these photos!

It's a great lunch place with an assortment of tasty drinks and sandwiches. They also serve burgers, salads, daily soups and desserts! I'll be back here soon, hopefully with better weather to fully enjoy their outdoor seating. I'd love to do some shopping the next time I'm here and to try out their desserts. 

Thanks so much to Tania for the recommendation!

~

Cafe Surfas

8777 Washington Blvd
Culver City, CA 90232

tel: 310.558.1458

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More